The Cancer Centre provides an incredible amount of education for their patients. A variety of professionals are available either by appointment or by phone during your "journey" in order to consult with or answer any questions. There are books, monitors in all waiting areas with education screens, pamphlets and brochures, videos and so on. Prior to being "tattoo'd" in preparation for the radiation, I viewed a video to explain the process. The 15 minute video replayed ongoing....enough time to take some pics so that I could show my husband, who had not been able to come with me.
The first slide is what normal cells in your body look like....all "in order".
Cancer cells, on the other hand, become a fast growing group of cells that are invasive and unorganized.
In order to ensure that the area for radiation is measured and consistent, covering enough area of your body, but not too much, the first session in this department includes felt pen drawings, markings and tattoos (the tattoos are very small but permanent markings). And the little needle pokes hurt. I think it is safe to say that I will not likely get a permanent tattoo ever just for the fun of it!!!
The area that is to receive the radiation is clearly defined so that all rays target that area, but leave the surrounding tissue healthy.
And once you are all tattoo'd, the body mold for the upper half of your body is made and the program established, you are set.
Depending on where the radiation is targeted will dictate the types of side effects that one may experience. For myself, after 11 of the 16 planned daily sessions, I can safely say that there are significant effects of a major sunburn to the skin in the pattern of a 10 inch square and overwhelming fatigue. But I am almost done....at least this part of the treatment journey!
1 comment:
Thank you for leaving us with this visual because it is very effective for understanding about radiation.
Post a Comment