The Canadian Cancer Society has declared April to be their month for creating cancer awareness and have designated the daffodil as their symbol. One of their fundraisers during this month is focused selling daffodils (live or a lapel pin)...I would strongly encourage everyone to support this endeavor as statistics now show that 2 out of every 5 persons (in our culture) will face a diagnosis of cancer in their lifetime.
Daffodils are plentiful right now. Their sunny yellow colour are are reminder that we are now officially in Spring, albeit somewhat chilly out there still. Spring brings new life, in the garden and in nature. The cure for cancer, and being able to offer improved treatments - which are the goals of the Society - also offer an opportunity for persons diagnosed with the disease to experience renewed hope and continued life.
Several years ago, our team of 9 mothers, daughters and friends walked the 60 km in the Cancer Foundation's "Walk to End Breast Cancer". As well, we managed to contribute almost $30,000 to the Foundation through our fundraising efforts (yes, we have very generous friends and family). This was the experience of a lifetime! Little did I know then that I would be walking the "cancer journey" myself....
Diagnosing this dreadful disease early, then there likely is a greater chance of enjoying the daffodils for years to come. I would urge you to actively participate in the screening processes available TODAY!

No comments:
Post a Comment