Wednesday, April 4, 2012

In the Rifted Rock


Because our house primarily faces to the back, I don't usually take the time to look, really look out to the front....
We decided that due to our busy schedules this year, we would try to keep some of the gardening simplified....
However, this little pansy seemed to find its way into the "rift" of the rock..it is very protected from the wind.
One of my earliest memories of hymn music, sung in German, is a song that the Mennonites held on to during their struggles for religious freedom, and perhaps more than that...just the freedom to work hard and love their neighbors, and God. My mother loved to play the piano, and often as we kids lay in bed, she would sing and play...this song being one of her favorite. We did not have a TV, and if we had, perhaps we would have missed out on these evening concerts. As I get older, I find a peace in the music of my childhood...this song is one that I thought of when I named this blog...

In the rifted rock I'm resting
Safely sheltered I abide;
There no foes nor storms molest me,
While within the cleft I hide.

Refrain:
Now I'm resting, sweetly resting,
In the cleft once made for me;
Jesus, blessed Rock of Ages,
I will hide myself in Thee.

In the rifted rock I'll hide me,
Till the storms of life are past'
All secure in this blest refuge,
Heeding not the fiercest blast.

(W.Warren Bentley, published in 1911)

No comments: