As I was waiting in the Cancer Center waiting area to be called for my radiation session, my mind focused on my cancer journey to date. Because there is a fairly strong family history of breast cancer, I have been faithful in going for a routine screening Mammogram regularly. Last fall was no exception as I went off to an appointment on a Friday morning. "Good to get that done!" I thought as I left the Breast Health Clinic ... "I don't have to think about this for the next couple of years!" Little did I know that I would be receiving 2 phone calls - one from my family physician and one from the Clinic - on Monday to return for further screening. Having arrived in Hawaii on Sunday for a much anticipated family vacation, I asked numerous questions before making a decision about going home immediately. The report read "low probability" and, although the decision was mine, there seemed to be agreement to follow up after my vacation. As wonderful as the vacation was, there was a constant niggling in my mind about the occasional discomfort that I had been experiencing as well as a significant level of fatigue that I had had for months. "But no lumps...." I reminded myself. Arriving home and quickly proceeding through additional tests, I realized that I was not surprised to hear the words "positive biopsy" and a consult with a surgeon being organized. So, a first surgery in December followed by a second surgery in January. And now, 16 sessions of radiation.
Continuing to reflect, I found myself repeatedly thinking "I am so fortunate!" Fortunate that:
- the cancer was small (by their standards) and was not found in the lymph nodes.
- technology has advanced significantly in the last 30 years since I was in Nurses Training, and 10 years since my mother had cancer. It is amazing! An example of this would be that the same diagnosis would require radical surgery and a hospital stay of 10 days when I was in training, and 10 years ago would require a significant surgery and 7 days in hospital. I had a less invasive surgery ... make that a day surgery x 2. And the data shows that the outcomes are better with current practices.
- the medical system is designed in such a way that specialists, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dietitians, and physiotherapists are all available to be consulted through a "one-stop shop" phone number throughout your treatment . I have not taken advantage of most of this but appreciate that I can. The efficiency of their system is to be commended as well, although I realize that is not true throughout the province as I am a part of a special project and live close to a Cancer Centre.
- my family and friends have provided an amazing support.
- I don't have to be at work throughout this journey. I am privileged to have time away from work and my position is held for me.
- that God is faithful. I know that my life is not out of control but rather that I can rest in His Grace!
"Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can sayNever once did we ever walk alone
Never once did you leave us on our own
You are faithful
God! You are Faithful!"
Matt Redman
1 comment:
Beautiful commentary on the journey to today, reflecting on the faithfulness of our Lord!
Post a Comment