Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tamoxifen

I have now been taking Tamoxifen for 2.5 weeks.   The beginnings of the next 2.5 years before I switch to a different drug for the 2.5 years following that.  It is amazing how this teeny pill taken daily can have such impact on one's person (and quality of life).   I can only hope that putting up with the side effects is going to be worth it.   And pray that the side effects become less as time goes on.

Tamoxifen is used to treat hormone-sensitive cancers. Some cancer cells require estrogen to grow.   Tamoxifen is metabolized in such a way that it also binds to the estrogen receptors but does not activate them.   Subsequently, cancer growth is blocked.  

So, maybe I will just spend the summer "hanging" at the lakehouse....and enjoying the company of those folks that find their way there as well.  Sounds like a lovely time to me.

1 comment:

sultana said...

Go for it ! Then we'll know where to find you.