Friday, June 8, 2012

If You Are What You Drink .....!

When I was initially diagnosed with cancer, a number of wonderful friends made suggestions of non-medical treatment options that they believed would be helpful to me.  Among these suggestions were recommendations on specific diets that would optimize general health as well as build immunity that is effective in fighting cancer cells.   In order to sort out some of what the most credible options were, I began researching and looking for evidence / outcomes for foods and cancer links that demonstrated a 10 year history as well as current writings.  As well, I reviewed a number of diet supplements.

I personally felt that I needed to follow the advise of the oncologist closely and I have consulted with other physicians regularly as well.   Needless to say this group of professionals provide a mixed review on diet and supplement options, however the consistent message and advisement was to "do what you think is best for yourself!"  To some extent this was a relief, a burden and a confusion all at the same time.

Although I created a plan for myself, I have been inconsistent with parts of the plan finding it difficult to deviate that far from my usual pattern however I have successfully managed to forego coffee, red meat, and many of the further processed foods for the most part.  And soy, which is found as a stablizer in many processed foods, such as salad dressings, spray oils and so forth.   I say "for the most part" because on rare occasions I will have a skinny, half-sweet hazelnut latte or yes, even a piece of rhubarb pie.  Oh, and an occasional hamburger....very occasional!  I tend to buy organic produce where that option exists.

Green Tea is cited in many journals, research projects and web sites as having a link to the prevention of cancer.  Green tea leaves are dehydrated without fermentation (as occurs with black tea) and have the highest proportion of antioxidants of the teas.
 -  http://www.naturalnews.com/025687_green_tea_breast_cancer.html
-   http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm
-  http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/supplements/known/green_tea.jsp
In fact, there appear to be many health benefits to drinking green tea.

There is debate on this however with the findings of an October 2010 research project that included 54,000 women. The evidence in this study indicates that there is no link between green tea and the prevention of cancer, although suggests there may be other health benefits.
-    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101027202507.htm

It has become quite a delightful experience to search out green tea and herbal options.  Initially I would spend time in the local supermarkets looking and pricing teas.   Most often there is a small cluster of people in that section doing the same thing and the conversation is lively.  For this group, Lipton seems to provide the "best" although is a "wee pricey!" according to the aisle experts.

My Asian Family Practice Physician friend tells me that Costco is the place for the best and healthiest green tea for the best price.  She says that "mancha" is a must!

With the advent of tea shops in nearly every mall and specialty shops in Vancouver, the options become endless.  And many of these shops are referencing "health research" as well.  For example, David's Tea sells a green tea / dandelion root tea called "some velvet morning!" (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/dandelion-root-extract-a-cancer-killer-in-lab-148364365.html )   


Such fun....and I am developing quite a lovely selection of teas and ways of making tea.

Morning tea can be as good, or better than coffee - yes, that is true! Try a little Gen Mai Cha perhaps.

And tea can provide a wonderful late afternoon break that leaves you feel like you had "dessert first!" before dinner.   Toasted Walnut Green Tea, Strawberry - Rhubarb or Mango Green!  Yum!

My favorites?  It is tough to decide but I would encourage you to drink "green" for the health of it!   And of course, a cup of tea with friends is always the best!

1 comment:

Judy said...

As I sip my late-night cup of coffee...I read of all these intriguing teas. I must admit I'm not that familiar with teas...of any kind. But a cup of tea in the company of a friend sounds good to me.

Wishing you all the best...as you learn a new way of eating (and drinking).