As I was driving to my medical appointment a few days ago, I wondered how I would answer the question "How are you doing?" That seems to be the standard question for the beginning of every appointment and I am often confused as to how to answer. I could say "I am good!", "I am good all things considered!", or "I feel unwell but that is to be expected, isn't it?", or "I am tired of feeling sick...sick and tired of it in fact!", or "I hate having cancer and going through this...it just makes me miserable!" But if I answered honestly? ....I thought about that for a moment and instantaneously a phrase that my mother often used popped into my head. "I have lost my luft!" she would say with a sigh. We interpreted that to mean that she had lost her energy or vigor. Could I say that to the Doctor? Probably not but it does describe about where I am at.
"Luft" is the German word for "air" or "wind" (according to Wikopedia). Yes, I could use some air...some air beneath my wings. Some energy. Some forward movement.
![]() |
| (Photobucket) |
Flying assists birds in moving quickly - always forward (I think), finding food and avoiding their predators. They have been created with unique characteristics that allows for lift force when flapping their wings. Subsequently there is a lower pressure above their wings and a greater pressure under their wings which counteracts drag. There is "luft!"
A few years ago the song Wind Beneath My Wings became popular and I thought of it then.
Did you know that you're my hero
And everything I would like to be
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'Cause you are the wind beneath my wings.
It might have appeared to go unnoticed
But I've got it all here in my heart
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it
I would be nothing without you!
J. Silbar and L. Henley
I believe that the song was written for "heroes" being human beings, like your "love", someone you admire. Someone that gives you "luft", vigor or the ability to be "better" because of their love. My family and friends have been more than faithful in supporting me, but at the end of the day, it is God that holds me .....consistantly! Every moment of every day......
1. Sometimes we are in the shadow of His wings. Psalm 57:1
"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed."
2. Or under His wings. Psalm 91:4
"He will cover you with His feathers, and under his wings you fill find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
3. There is healing in His wings. Malachi 4:2
"But for you who revere my name, the Sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap ...."
4. and there is wind beneath His wings. Isaiah 40:31
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Thank you God for being my "luft".
(ps I think airplanes have luft as well. Mmmmh....wouldn't mind being on a flight!)

1 comment:
Very good post, Elma. We all lose our "luft" on occasion but you have a valid reason. Thank God there is a physical luft and an emotional or spiritual luft and the spiritual one is the one that will often over-ride all other circumstances in life.
Now about that airliner flight. That gives luft in more ways than one.
Post a Comment